Re: en keloheynu

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Lori Cahan-Simon wrote:

> Khaveyrim,
>
> I was looking in the 1931 edition of The Jewish
> Community Songster and found En Keloheynu, the usual
> tune that people on this list have characterized as a
> "German drinking tune".  In this book it is
> attributed to J. Freudenthal.  Is this true, and what
> can anyone tell me about him?

Chaveirah,

This tune was indeed composed by Freudenthal, and has
nothing to do with drinking songs, whether German or
not.

Cantor Sam Weiss once explained the full story on this
list. He was kind enough to give me permission to post
his article on my website:

http://www.joods.nl/~chazzanut/articles/on-ein-keloheinu.html

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim