Re: nokhamol IAYC program details

Yiddish Teachers:
Heroes Then and Now
International Association of Yiddish Clubs IAYC - 2003 Conference
September 4, 5, 6, 7, 2003  Pikesville Hilton, Baltimore, MD
www.derbay.org

Thursday, September 4th, 2003   Hilton Pikesville, Baltimore, Maryland

Check in and registration  time: from 3:00  Check in to a tuneful welcome by
local klezmer duo Jerry Lapides, vocals and harmonica, Jill Ice, accordian

5th floor Hospitality Suite  - Shule Show and Tell (informal)

Dinner (for hotel guests):
6:00-7:15 Preakness Ballroom

8:00-10:00 pm Evening Program Preakness Ballroom

Proclamation of Yiddish Week in Baltimore
Welcome by IAYC and Yiddish of Greater Baltimore
Our keynote speaker will be noted teacher, activist  Gella Schweid Fishman
who established the Secular Schools in America Collection at Stanford
University (California). who will speak on  the topic:
The Secular Yiddish Schools in North America:
An Archival Collection as a Living Source
of Jewish Creativity

? A musical salute to Mikhl Gelbart with  teacher/klezmer  Lori Cahan Simon
and violin virtuoso Steven Greenman and a Shule/Summer Camp Song singalong.

? The big band sounds of the Baltimore Klezmer Orchestra

Friday, September 5th, 2003

7:45-8:45 am   Kosher Bagel Continental Breakfast (Special Corridor
set-up)(hotel guests only)

9:15-10:30am  Period A

Morrie Feller ­ Yiddish Kompyuteray: Getting It Write In Yiddish (E/Y) ­
(Whirlaway)
Troim Katz Handler ­ Women and Sex in Judaism (E/Y) ­ (Citation)
Motl Rosenbush ­ How to Start a Yiddish ³Svive² in Your Town (Y) ­
(Secretariat)
Iosif Vaisman  -   Internet as a tool for teaching Yiddish (E/Y) -
(Pimlico/Laurel)

10:45-12:00 noon  Period B

Lori Cahan-Simon ­ Researching Mikhl Gelbart (Y/E) ­ (Whirlaway)
Sylvia Schildt ­ Remembering Brownsville/Mayn Shtetele Bronzvil -  (Y/E) -
(Citation)
Prof. Max Ticktin ­ Topic tba -  (Y) - (Secretariat)
Iosif Vaisman - Hersh Segal, his friends, pupils, and flourishing of Yiddish
culture in
                          Czernowitz between the World Wars.² (Y) -
(Pimlico/Laurel)

12:12-1:30 PM   Lunch on Your Own
                         IAYC BOARD MEETING

1:45-3:00 pm   Period C

Betty Tepper ­ Yiddish Tango: Buenos Aires to the World -  (E/Y/S) -
(Whirlaway)
Judith Seid ­ Secular Options in Judaism ­ (E) -  (Citation)
Sholem Berger ­ Vos Fara Yid Redt Yidish? ­ (Y)  - (Secretariat)
Shelby Shapiro - Continues his fascinating exploration of the Yidishe
Ganovim ­ (E)

(Pimlico/Laurel)

3:00-3:15 PM ­ KOSHER PASTRY BREAK

3:15- -4:45 pm   Period D
IAYC ELECTIONS/PLENARY SESSION ­

Plenary Session in honor long time Yiddish teacher and activist Itche
Goldberg (Y/E)
Preakness Ballroom  (Panel discussion)

Henry Sapo5nik   creator of the Yiddish Radio Project and Director of Living
Traditions, will hold a very important plenary session on Yiddish Education
and the KlezKamp Phenomenon. KlezKamp, now in its 18th year, has been a
major force in producing a new generation of enthusiasts of Yiddish music,
language ,literature and culture and there is much we can learn from its
phenomenal success.

4:30-5:30     5th floor Hospitality Suite  - Shule Show and Tell (informal)

6:00-7:15 pm  KOSHER SHABES DINNER (for hotel guests, special passes)  with
zmiros by Cantor Allan Berman­ Preakness Ballroom

8:00-8:45

Talent Cabaret  (Mitch Smolkin)
Cookie Blattman
Sara Moskowitz
Elsa Dragon

9:00 pm ­ Preakness Ballroom
Film and moderated discussion
³UNCLE CHATZKEL²

Saturday, September 6th, 2003

7:45-8:45 am   Kosher Bagel Continental Breakfast (Special Corridor set-up)
(hotel guests only)

Orthodox services (optional) (E/H) with Cantor Berman ­ Bowie
(Nearby Conservative & Reform Services available)

9:15-10:30 am   Period A

Dr. Sheva Zucker ­ Teaching Intermediate Yiddish ­ (Y/E) -  (Whirlaway)
Jim Kappelin  -- My Life as a Zamler  ­ (Citation)
Eve Jochnowitz  ­  Jewish Foodways  (Y/E)  (Pimlico/Laurel)
Herman Taube  -- Yidiahe Zhurnaln in Lodz & Varshe Tsvishn di 2 Velt
                        Milkhomes ­ (Y)       (Citation)

10:45-12:00 noon  Period B

TBA­  (Y/E) ­ (Whirlaway)
Chava Lapin ­  Advanced Yiddish Class 1 -  (Y)  - (Citation)
Kolye Borodulin - A Sheyne Bobe Mayse, slide talk on Yiddish Children¹s
Texts ­ (Y)
                                               (Secretariat)
Yale Strom ­ Klezmer history as found in Yizkor books (E/Y)  --
(Pimlico/Laurel)

12:15-1:30  LUNCH ON YOUR OWN (Sabbath Observers Take Away Lunch included
with Kosher Option)

1:45-3:00 pm   Period C

Dr. Solon Beinfeld ­ New Yiddish Center in Paris, its cultural activities
and goals, the work of Prof. Yitskhok Niborski and others. ( (Y/E) ­
(Whirlaway)
Hilda Rubin -  Yiddish theatre as a means of teaching language ­ (Y/E) -
(Citation)
William Tenn ­ Sholem Aleykhem meets Sci-Fi in ³On Venus Have We Got a
Rabbi² ­
     (E) -  (Secretariat)
Kolye Borodulin - Yiddish life in Birobidjan ­ (Y/E) -  (Pimlico/Laurel)

3:00-3:15 pm  - KOSHER PASTRY BREAK

3:15-4:30 pm   Period D

PLENARY SESSION  & FILM SHOWING ­ (Preakness Ballroom)

Meet the Filmmaker Yale Strom and see his film ³L¹Chaim, Comrade Stalin.²

4:30-5:30     5th floor Hospitality Suite  - Shule Show and Tell (informal)

6:00-7:15 pm DINNER (for hotel guests, special passes)   Preakness Ballroom
 (Kosher option by pre-arrangement only)

8:00-10:00 PM GALA EVENING CONCERT -  PREAKNESS BALLROOM

? The unique music of Baltimore¹s wildly popular Charm City Klezmer
? Shira Shazeer and Ken Richmond, Fish Street Klezmer Duo, of Klezmaniacs
fame in a program of Yiddish song ­ old favorites, new discoveries
? World Class khazn AVI ALBRECHT sings Yiddish

Sunday, September 7, 2003

 7:45-8:45 am   Kosher Bagel Continental Breakfast (Special Corridor
set-up)(hotel guests only)

9:15-10:30 am   Period A

Miriam Beckerman  -- Mayn Lerer Dovid Katz(Y)    (Whirlaway)
Chava Lapin  -- Advanced Yiddish ­ Session Two (Y) (Secretariat)
Marcia Gruss Levinsohn ­ Model class  (Pimlico/Laurel)
Fanny Yocor - Dialogues for Yiddish Conversation  - (Y) -

10:45-12:00 noon   Period B

. Our closing speaker will be announced.

.   Mayn Oytzer -- a concert of Yiddish art and theatre songs  with Sender
Botvinik, Sherm Labovitz &  Marvin Weisberger from their CD  published by
the Sholem Aleichem Club of Philadelphia.

12:00 noon ­ kosher box lunch (for hotel guests)
CHECKOUT

Bus departs for guided tour of Jewish Baltimore with Aaron Seiden
(Pre-registration only)