Re: Prokofiev's "Overture on Hebrew Themes"

The Overture on Hebrew Themes Op. 34 was originally written for A clarinet,
piano and string quartet in 1919.  Prokofiev arranged it for clarinet and
orchestra in 1934. It was written during Prokofiev's short stay in the US. He
was approached by some friends (that he knew from his conservatory days at St.
Petersberg) currenly living in the US and that had an ensemble of this
combination, but no pieces were written for that combo. They wanted a jewish
themed piece to have to play for a fundraiser that was raising money to start a
music conservatory in Jerusalem.

This piece has picked up in popularity with the past few years and there are a
variety of recordings out there. Its a great piece to play, having played and
recorded the piece myself and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Marcy Mirkin