Re: mezinke

Helen, all I know is that "Di mezike oysgegebn" was written by Mark
Warshavsky, words and music, around 100 years ago.  It has more verses
than are commonly sung, as is the case for most of his songs.
 Warshavsky, a guitar-playing lawyer from Kiev, wrote a whole wedding
suite of songs for both the bride's and the groom's sides.

At my wedding, my mother, who loves being the center of attention (gee,
I wonder how that ties in ;-), insisted that I dance around her and
crown her with flowers to this piece.  I am the only child, so I guess
that qualifies me as the youngest daughter getting married, doesn't it?
 The not Jewish band played way too slow and the song went on so long
that the flowers were turning brown already!  (no, not really.  It just
seemed like it.)  I couldn't seem to get their attention to stop, so
round and round I went, teasing her about putting the wreath on her
head, putting it on, not putting it on.  I finally ran out of shtick and
told the musicians, "Genug shoyn!"  Well, I didn't know Yiddish then, so
I just looked at them pitifully, plopped the flowers on my mother's
expectant head and kissed her.  Done!

Hope this has helped, or at least amused you,
Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for