Re: p.s. Oliver/Jewish content overall

My children's musical, The Wise Men of Chelm, had a successful run of 14
performances here in the frozen north in 1995.  I think it's fair to say most
of the numbers sound Jewish.  When I taught in Poland a few years later, I
actually got to spend a day in Chelm, where the only Jews I saw where in the
(beautifully maintained) cemetery.  When I told my (Gentile) students in Lublin
(not too far from Chelm) about the reputation of Chelm's Jews for non-Nobel
Prize winning behavior, they were simultaneously amused and perplexed and
apparently unaware of just how Jewish the region had been, including Lublin
itself, where nowadays the shul is rarely opened because of the lack of a
minyan.  Even folks closer to my age knew very little, thanks to five decades
of Communist rule.  (Ignorance, of course, doesn't keep people from being
anti-Semitic, and there was plenty of evidence of that as well.)

Despite its apparent success, my show has never been revived.  When I say it
was for kids, I refer to both the cast (though not the band, designers, or
techs) and audience.

A reminder that Judith Brin Ingber and I will be performing at University of
British Columbia Wednesday night at 7 pm.  A varied multimedia program, almost
all Jewish in content and entirely Jewish in its personnel.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music