Re: p.s. Oliver/Jewish content overall

----- Original Message -----
From: <SICULAR (at) aol(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 10:14 AM
Subject: p.s. Oliver/Jewish content overall

by the way, I think it's noteworthy that this show premiered in 1960,
several
years before "Fiddler on the Roof," and in London, not New York.  of course,
the West End theatres of London had/?have a lot of Jewish producers, but the
audiences there were not filled with as many Jewish patrons as Broadway
seats
might typically be.

I wonder what others on this list think of "Oliver!" [the exclamation point
is part of Bart's title], and of the Fagin character in the show?
<snip>

I saw the movie (not the stage show) in London, one Sunday evening. When I
came out of the theater into the streets of downtown London, it was quiet in
a way that midtown Manhattan never is.  My feeling was of being back in the
London that Dickens wrote about.  I kept a wary eye out for gangs of
urchins.

I'ven seen tthe movie again, on TV.  I never thought of Fagin as being
Jewish, though now I wonder why I missed the obvious.