Re: How Could Szpielman Stay in Poland?

 >but in
 >this case, the Polish analogy with German
 >savagery is more sound than anyone wants
 >to hear. The record backs it up. I´m sorry."

Poland had its anti-Semites, for sure.  But Poland was occupied by Germany
and the Nazi murdered millions of non-Jewish Poles as well as Jewish
Poles.  Germans found collaborators in all the countries the occupied,
although the civilian response (and brutality of occupation) was different
in different countries.  My point here is to point out that Nazi savagery
gave Polish anti-Semites the opportunity to murder, as opposed to Poles
taking on a national and international project to exterminate Jews.

Although I only spent a few days in Poland and have maintained a good
friendship with a Polish family I met through another list, I agree with
the other Alex's analysis of the situation (at least currently).  Greater
contact between Poles and Jews, whether through music or other areas, will
undoubtedly make for more friendships between these two peoples.

And as to why Szpielman decided to stay in Poland, maybe he just thought of
it as home.

Steven Fischbach
Cranston, Rhode Island  USA
fischri (at) gis(dot)net