Re: How Could Szpielman Stay in Poland?

At 06:52 AM 3/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Shirona wrote:
>
>"I couldn't help wondering though - how could he stay in Poland =
>after the entire Jewish population was wiped out, and the Poles proved =
>themselves to be just as savage and eager to get rid of the Jews as the =
>Germans... Was he such a musical celebrity in Poland that being Jewish, =
>in his case, didn't matter?"
>
>Could it be that your idea of Poland and the Poles is in error?

I lived in Poland for a while and it was a complex place, just like
anywhere else:  the good, the bad, the ugly.  Swastika graffiti but also
some of my best friends in the world.  Under the communists, my friends
described their lives as something like slavery and destitution.

>Do you Yahoo!?
><http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/mailtagline/*http://taxes.yahoo.com/>Yahoo!
>Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, and more

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)