Brahms on Wagner

At 01:44 AM 3/3/03, Yoel Epstein wrote:
>And there is Brahms's comment, when asked what he thought about Parsifal:
>"This is music that must be heard more than once to appreciate.  I don't
>intend to hear it again."

A friend of mine offered this Brahmsian tidbit:
<Brahms was known for a sarcastic SOB.  He directed a chamber ensemble for
little old rich ladies at one point, and told them, when they were
shlepping their way through a Haydn quartet:  "I don't know why you're
dragging the tempo like this.  I know you took it much faster under Haydn.">

Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ