Nicholayev & Lubavitcher Hasidim

I'm fairly sure Nikolayev is in Ukraine rather than Belarus.  An important town
in the annals of Lubavitcher music, as was hometown of the Charitonow family--
some of the great composers of Lubavitch nigunim.  Was a father and two sons
who wrote many beautiful popular nigunim.
On a personal note, I've had the privilege to get to know the
greatgrandson/grandson of these composers who is a Chabad Rabbi (also named
Charitonow) in Buffalo.  In reviewing some of his family's old sheet music
manuscripts, has made me appreciate that many of these nigunim had more complex
modal variations in early times.  Surely there were pronounced regional
variations.  My theory is that Zalmanoff's Sefer Hanigunim (the "bible" of
Chabad Nigunim) may have sanitized many of these melodies & cut down on such
variations-- not an uncommon occurence when melodies become codified in written
form.
The current Rabbi Charitonow says his father made a commercial recording of
nigunim-- was wondering if anyone had heard it.
Pete Rushefsky
 Sylvia Schildt <creativa (at) charm(dot)net> wrote:

It's in Belarus.