threads, 2 urls

hi, for one thing, if we are to go on with these kol isha and Wagner
threads, perhaps people could adjust the subject heading so that Miriam
and Wagner aren't constantly coupled in the same heading?

> Re: Kol Isha/Miriam's Song/Wagner

Trudi, I was going to answer Avi's remarks but since you did it so
effectively, I'll just say, "ditto for me".

I can't imagine what Marvin's comment about some people being turned off
by obesity has to do with anything; perhaps it was meant for some
mysterious listserv, for example a support group for people trying to
deal with their prejudices against obesity and, to borrow a phrase from
an early message in the kol isha thread, his "vent" somehow got
displaced and ended up here.

Here's a local Portuguese newspaper's write-up (in Portuguese) about a
presentation Tamar and I did a little while ago on Crypto-Jews in
Portugal, for a Toronto synagogue (great mixture of men, women, Jews,
non-Jews, Ashkenazim, Sephardim, old, young, thin, fat, but - actually
no one was counting) .
The title of the article, Ö adufe esteve na sinagoga" means "the adufe
was at the synagogue".
 The adufe is the Portuguese women's square drum, in the Middle Ages
depicted as played by women (only women) in all three religions of
Iberia (incidentally, Miriam is depicted as playing it in the famous
"Golden Haggadah" of 14th century Spain ; a reproduction is on the
inside booklet of our CD) . Tamar and I have worked quite intensively on
the instrument with village women in Portugal and use it a lot. The
Crypto-Jewish women in Belmonte say they never played it but they appear
in fact to have done in the past, and often ask me to play mine on odd
occasions.

http://www.solnet.com/14fev03/home.htm  (scroll down a bit)

Portuguese TV is coming to interview us about it on Saturday (so I'm
going to spend some serious time with a good coffee and Portuguese verbs
tables: messing up is one thing in transient situations and another when
one's mistakes are broadcast to 150,000+ Ontario Portuuese speakers.)

Also, here's a write-up, albeit brief, of the Peace Concert/Dialogue
Tamar and I were part of earlier this month in Toronto.
There were roughly equal numbers of Muslims and Jews, including very
heavily veiled Muslim women. The music was great, and so were the
organization and level of human interaction, but I do have several
non-musical reservations which don't belong on this list.
http://www.cjnews.com/campus/campus.htm                   Judith