Re: Wagner 2003

Re: Gottfried Wagner

He's a very interesting, devoted scholar/theater director, who broke
away from his family and the "family business" in Bayereuth many
years back. He moved to Italy, where he lives with his family north
of Milano.
He's extremely involved in uncovering Wagnerian antisemitism (and
published a relevant book on the subject): even more that dealing
with Richard Wagner's own life and works, he focuses on the
"Wagnerian" imagination and its consequences. In Italy, he often
appears in "Jewish" contexts.

I had the pleasure to meet him several years ago at the Milan Music
Conservatory, and more recently I hosted him for one of my radio
shows, together with German-born writer Helena Janecek (no music
connections here), the daughter of two camps survivors whom also
eventually moved to Italy, and also lives in the same area. The show
was about two different kinds of "drop outs" from Germany...

Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval