Wagner 2003

This may seem like a strange recommendation for a Jewish music list, but
this weekend, I'm co-chairing "Lingering Dissonances:  Wagner 2003" at
the U of MN's Ferguson Hall, 2106 4th St. S, Minneapolis.  Wagner is
hardly Jewish fare of course, but the Center for Jewish Studies and The
Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies are among the biggest
sponsors.  Speakers include some of the giants of the study of Wagnerian
anti-Semitism studies, Paul Rose and Marc Weiner, as well as Na'ama
Sheffi of Tel Aviv U.  Friday night we're showing Yehuda Yannay's
Jidyll, with the composer/author/filmmaker/star present to comment.
Keynote speaker is the composer's great-grandson Gottfried Wagner, who's
done much to support the study of Wagnerian anti-Semitism and has given
lecture tours in Israel.  Our co-sponsor is the MN Opera.  It's all free
and open to the public.  Check it all out at

www.cla.umn.edu/umhi/conferences/conferences.htm

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music