Jews and dance

I'm just back from teaching my first Yiddish dance workshop.  The event went
well and I think people enjoyed it;however, one comment that was made there and
has been made at other such dance sponsored events that I've attended, is that
there seems to be very little participation by the Jewish community (at least
at events that are coordinated by dance groups rather than by Jewish
organizations).  I'm reflecting on this because recently, someone in my
community asked what kind of dance I do, as she was planning a program for an
organization.  When I answered "Yiddish dance" her response was "Oh, well then
we wouldn't want you.  You can't expect people to come out for that.  We need
someone who does swing dancing."

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences or is my experience an
anomaly.

Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->