Re: [Fwd: NEW WEBSITE: Lingua Franca (Corre)]

It's probably the case to listen again to a couple of Jewish songs
whose texts are examples of "lingua franca":

* "Fel shara" (or whatever the song is titled: Gerineldo' cd has it
in "Huskudara Suite", track 16 of "En medio de aquel camino", 1994,
CDG-1094 --- Judith: your help here, I remember you telling me some
fascinating details about the song, and where it is from)

* "Wal viva, viva, nostro Burino" (track 36 of the CD "Italian Jewish
Musical Traditions"): a Livornese song, whose text is in fact a
parody of how North African Jews immigrated to Italy spoke in the
17th century...
(also, Ramon Tasat recorded a version of this song in his CD "Cantata
Ebraica", 2000, RT100D -- I do not agree with the way it was
arranged, which tries to reproduce a "Renaissance sound" that in my
opinion has very little to do with the song, but it is a fun piece in
any case! -- collateraly, it seems that everything "Italian", and
"Jewish", and "musical", MUST have something to do with the
Renaissance, with Salomone Rossi, etc....)

Best,
Francesco

--

YUVAL ITALIA      Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval