Re: Not So Best Selling

 Dear Roger,

I agree with you wholeheartedly, "The Chicago Klezmer Ensemble's "Sweet Home
Bukovina" is an absolutely delicious record" however, this is NOT one of
those recordings that was not promoted. As the US distributor for this
recording, we pushed this one as hard as possible. We sent out copies for
review and to radio stations. When we acquired the CD, I posted a "Special"
on this list and can tell you we had one of the best responses on this
recording, and, it is still selling very well.

On "Chicago's" 2nd CD, "Early Recordings", we again sent out copies for
review--check out George Robinson's Review on the Klezmer Shacks at:
http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/robinson/020309-1.sounds.html

Though "Early Recordings" is no longer a "new release" i have always felt
that the CD has not been give the proper recognition it deserves and sent it
to be reviewed by Sing Out magazine in their last issue. Its nice to see that
the Magazine also reviewed other Jewish recordings including:"
Goyrl:Destiny", by Wolf Krakowski (A GREAT recording), and new CDs by Maxwell
St. Klezmer, The Klezmatics, and Frank London.

Unfortunately, promotion of Jewish thumbed recordings is not an easy thing
considering the small numbers that a "hit" Jewish CD will sell, and very few
of the labels are willing to invest serious money in promotion.

In the next issue of Sing Out! I will be placing a full page color ad
featuring some of the more "unusual" CDs from the Hatikvah catalog. The
recordings I have selected for the ad are those that I feel should appeal to
serious music collectors of folk and other ethnic music, whether Jewish or
not...no Hava Nagila or Yiddishe Mame!

Do I expect the ad to pay for itself, not really, but I do want to make
people aware that the music does exist...and so do we...for now!

Simon
Hatikvah Music
323) 655-7083
www.hatikvahmusic.com