Jewish Music series in Toronto

In an effort to create greater awareness of modern Jewish music in the
Toronto area, I have put together a series of evenings at a local Judaica
shop. I am new to the world of promotion, and compared to many who post
here, my depth of knowledge about the music and its history is minimal.
Having said that I hope my enthusiasm and respect for the music and the
musicians will make this successful, and a first step in creating new
awareness, venues and, yes, CD sales for our musicians. For those of you in
the Toronto area, I hope you will see fit to attend some if not all of the
evenings. For the rest of you, please forward this posting to those you know
in Toronto. This is not a commercial venture for me, rather a labour
(Canadian spelling!) of love. I have already been asked to expand on the
series by the owners of Israel?s and I would love to feature other
musicians. Please contact me at syncopated (at) rogers(dot)com , off-list, if
you or
anyone you are aware of would like to participate, as a musician, in the
next series.

If you do not wish to follow the links to my site, the series features, in
order of appearance, Martin van de Ven & Brian Katz, Theresa Tova, Marilyn
Lerner & David Wall, and Lenka Lichtenberg.

Mel Korn
syncopated (at) rogers(dot)com

Jewish Music is ALIVE AND WELL IN TORONTO!
http://members.rogers.com/aliveandwell/

It is time to take the wraps off of one of the best-kept secrets in Toronto?
s Jewish community. Jewish music is Alive and Well in Toronto. Beginning on
Sunday January 12th, 2003, Israel?s Judaica, at 897 Eglinton Avenue West,
will host, together with Mel Korn and Syncopated Services, a series of
intimate presentations of the beautiful and diverse music flourishing in our
midst.

The music of Eastern European Jews, Ashkenazim, evolved much as the Yiddish
language did. As the Jews established their roots in the villages, towns and
cities throughout Eastern Europe, the language of their day-to-day lives
absorbed the local culture and nuances. So too did the music and the
culture. Even today, by listening to the Yiddish being spoken, one can
immediately know the roots and location in Europe of the speaker. For many
reasons, including the creation of the State of Israel and the mass
migration of Ashkenazim (pre and post Holocaust) to North America, Yiddish
as a language, a culture and artistic inspiration, has been in decline since
the end of World War II.  However, the decline in the use of the language
has been relatively gradual as compared to the music and art.

Beginning in the late 70?s and early 80?s there has been a significant
revival of the music of Eastern European Jews. From an initial yearning of a
new generation of North American Jews, who happened to be musicians, to
understand the music of their recent ancestors, this revival has grown to be
much more than an exercise in history. The music has not only been revived,
but has begun to grow and reflect the new culture and societies in which it
is now being created and played. With a deep love and respect for the roots
of the music, 21st century musicians are expanding Jewish music, making it a
new and vibrant artistic expression. This musical expression has taken root
among Jewish and non-Jewish artists, and in fact has become a significant
means of a deep-rooted communication of things Jewish, beyond our community.

However, in some respects the vibrancy of our very own music is one of our
best-kept secrets. Toronto is the home of the largest celebration of
Ashkenaz culture, yet it happens only every two or three years, and is
always struggling financially. Toronto is also home to many world-class,
internationally acclaimed, Jewish musicians who are severely restricted in
terms of venues and community support, not to mention a dearth of locations
to promote and sell their wonderful CD?s. It is time to take the wraps off
of this secret. Jewish music is Alive and Well in Toronto.