Re: Regina Prager

Bob:

This is from Irene Heskes' excellent introduction to her YIDDISH AMERICAN
POPULAR SONGS, 1895 TO 1950, Washington: Library of Congress, 1992.

"On the Jewish stage, the heroes and heroines all sang important ballads.
Significantly, although the synagogue was traditionally a male musical domain,
in the theatrical world women, no less than men, sang the serious liturgical
melodies along with popular tunes..."

".... From the beginning of the Yiddish theatricals, actual liturgical music or
adaptations of liturgical melodies were incorporated, underscoring spiritual
contents and moralistic intentions."

Regina Prager was active in the early years of the Yiddish Theatre. One of her
performances was at the Thalia Theatre on the Bowery in 1897. This was one of
the earliest theatres to stage Yiddish theatricals and at least ten years
before the development of the "Yiddish Rialto"--the large number of Yiddish
Theatres on Second Avenue on the Lower East Side of New York City.

Heskes interviewed Prager's daughter, who gave her some materials that had
belonged to her mother. Among these materials was a poster publicizing the
above 1897 performance, which Heskes donated to the Library of Congress and is
now a part of their permanent "American Treasures" exhibition.

Also among these materials is a pamphlet entitled: EIN JUEDISCHES OPERNTHEATER
UND SEINE PRIMADONNA, by Hermann Scharf, published in Czernowitz in 1893. It's
written in a form of German subjunctive and difficult to translate, but here's
what I can glean from it:

Regina Prager was 27 years old when this was written, which means she was born
in 1866. She was a soprano, originally from Lemberg (Lvov), who who performed
the lead roles in two Goldfaden operettas, SHULAMIT and BAR KOCHBA (Dina). She
received a little musical training in her home town but then went off to sing
as a chorister in Poland. Prager was an excellent actress and praised as an
extremely talented performer. I have no information as to when she emigrated to
the U.S. Heskes cites Prager's dates as 1874-1949, but I've learned to take
performers' birth dates with a grain of salt--especially female ones. (Sorry
ladies, but you know this is true.)

I recently had the good fortune to arrange and describe Irene Heskes' Papers as
well as compile an in-depth biography of her. All of this material will be up
on our web site within the next few months.

This would also be a good time to mention that the first four of my finding
aids to some of our special music collections will be up on our web site within
the next month or so. I will notify the list exactly when the time comes.

Good Shabbes,

Eliott Kahn

At 11:04 AM 1/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Lorin,
>
>Thanks.  Some of the selections (particularly "Shma Koileini") sound as
>though they might be cantorial.  Is this another example of a "lady cantor"?
>Or is it all Yiddish theater?
>
>Bob

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998