Re: [CHAZON] Cantor Abraham Sukoenig - Park Ave. Synagogue (fwd)

Abraham Sukoenig was cantor at the Park Avenue Synagogue from 1914-1932. Our
library has his successor Cantor David Putterman's Park Avenue papers and
scores, and these included some of Sukoenig's manuscripts as well. They can be
looked at in our special reading room most afternoons and may be accessed
through our online catalog: http://sefer.jtsa.edu  Please search under the
author's name: Sukoenig, Abraham.

I found no information in the three biographical sources I usually check for
early twentieth century American hazzanim. This might be because Park Avenue
was quite an assimilated synagogue at the time. It only became affiliated with
the Conservative movement when both David Putterman became cantor and Milton
Steinberg became rabbi in 1933.

These sources are:
Zaludkowski, E., Kulturtraeger von der Juedischen Liturgie, Detroit: E.
Zaludkowski, 1930.

Jewish Ministers Cantor's Association of America, Di Geshikhte fun hazones:
aroysgegeben tsum 30 yohrigen yubileum ..., New York: The Association, 1924.

Jewish Ministers Cantor's Association of America, Hazanuth: zamelbukh
aroysgegeben tsum fertsig yohrigen yuval ..., New York: s.n., 1937.

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998