-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[  <mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org> mailto:owner-jewish-music
(at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Judith Cohen
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 9:39 AM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Ethiopian Jewish music

hi, I couldn't seem to find the "music" part of the messages headed "Falasha"
music. The first recording I know of , of Beta Israel music, was on a Folkways
LP. Then in the 70s Kay Shelemay did intensive on-the-spot research with them,
and published two books: first a version of her very technical dissertation,
and then a lovely short book called "A Song of Longing", which I highly
recommend (nothing wrong with the first one either, but they're two veru
different approaches). Kay did her work with the men's music, the liturgical
and para-liturgical traditions: women are barely mentioned. A couple of women -
very young women - sing , as I remember, at least one improvised song about how
they left Ethiopia without family, on an Ocora LP recorded in Israel in the
80s.  I've done a little fieldwork with the small community in Montreal, on
song, dance and instruments. I don't know about any studies which have focused
on Beta Israel WOMEN.
There's also a childrens Beta Israel choir in Israel, or was at some point, and
they may have issued a recoridng. I'm out of town, so haven't access to my
files. Judith

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->