Re: Yiddish music in China?

A bit off-topic, but the tour of the old Jewish quarter of Shanghai that
starts in the old synagogue is unforgettable, a must-see.  There's also a
klez band in Beijing on Ari's list.

At 03:17 PM 11/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I also listened to the clip and it's unmistakable - Judy Bressler and the KCB!
>
>One couldn't even begin to figure this one out, unless the director was
>simply looking for some form of Western folk music and obviously the language
>was of no concern to a Chinese audience.
>
>Anyway I guess everything equals out - after all we Jews have a reputation
>for enjoying Chinese food - just maybe, the Chinese enjoy Jewish music!!
>
>Hankus - start planning the tour!!
>
>Alan Falk
>Nefesh Klezmer Band
>
>its there, its klez, its weird ,its cool ,its pan cultural fusion, its NPR.
>
>the Chinese have a "different" outlook on copyright laws.----- Original
>
>Message -----

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)