Yiddish music in China?

I heard the strangest thing on the radio the other day.  There was a
story on NPR about a production of George Orwell's Animal Farm in
China.  They cut to some Chinese stage dialogue, and that led into
some music.  I thought the music bore an amazing resemblance to a
Yiddish theater song, but just at that moment, the phone rang and I
couldn't be sure.  So later this week I went to the NPR website and
replayed the story. About one and a half minutes into the story the
music comes on and it is unmistakably "Makheteyniste Mayne" sung in
Yiddish and though the sound quality and length of the snip makes it
difficult to be sure, I think the voice is Judy Bressler of the
Klezmer Conservatory Band.

You can hear the report for yourself at:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/wesat/20021116.wesat.12.ram

This is the link to the story:

http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=845088

I wrote to NPR to ask about it but they haven't written back yet
except for an autoresponse.  Seems rather strange to me.

Judy, is it you?

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band