I would like to visit other communities

Please pass this on to other mailing
lists or friends you feel would benefit.
- - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - -

Shalom friends and chevre,

My name is Michael E. Rubin and I live in a suburb of Chicago called Vernon
Hills. I am also an active congregant at Chicago's Jewish Renewal congregation,
Makom Shalom, and am actively working with others developing the
city's "alternative Jewish scene" of innovative chavurot, meditation groups,
Torah study sessions, and more.

At Makom Shalom, we do not have a full-time chazzan. Instead, my best friend
and I fill in as "music mensches." In addition to much of the Shabbos liturgy,
I play a lot of music by Reb Shlomo Carlebach z"l. Though I am not a maggid by
training, I also delight in telling "Shlomo stories" and other Jewish mystical
tales. I am not a rabbi, but my role has often been that of a teacher. I am 27
and am envisioning one day entering the rabbinate.

*************

The reason I am writing is twofold:

1) "From you I receive, and to you I give/Together we share and from this we
live..."

My desire is to visit other Midwest-area communities, whether they are formally
affiliated with NJRC and/or ALEPH or not. I would like to share songs, stories,
daavenen and creative liturgies with others -- and gain from others' sharing in
return. I'm thinking of areas within driving distance of Chicago -- Iowa,
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and Indiana.

2) Shabbatonim

As part of visiting these communities, if there's interest, I would love to
help facilitate Shabbatonim. Because many communities are in financial
tightness, I will not charge a fee for doing so. All I ask in terms of
compensation are my gas expenses ($65-70) and a bed to sleep in.

*************

I hope this idea of sharing songs and ideas is appealing and has sparked some
interest. Please contact me via telephone at 847-840-1757 or e-mail at
merubin (at) attbi(dot)com to continue this dialogue.

Thank you!

b'shalom v'chevrut,
Michael

--