20th Anniv. Part 3: Northampton, MA 11/3

The Wholesale Klezmer Band 20th Anniversary Celebration  Part 3

at the Iron Horse Music Hall
Sunday, November 3rd
20 Center Street
Northampton, MA
Doors open at 5:30 pm
For Reservations call:
     1-800-THE-TICK from outside the (413) area code, or
     (413) 586-8686.
For information and directions: http://www.iheg.com/ironhorseschedule.html

The next chapter of the history of the Wholesale Klezmer Band starts,
strangely enough with a speech that Pat Buchanan gave at the
Republican Party convention in the summer of 1992.  It was scary, a
narrow view of who was an American.  When Bill Clinton won the
election he gave a speech in which he celebrated the diversity of our
country's people and underscoring the necessity of our all working
together to rebuild our country.  I immediately wrote to him and his
campaign office suggesting that the music at the inauguration reflect
that spirit of acceptance and diversity and offering the Wholesale
Klezmer Band to be part of the festivities including a copy of our
newly released first CD.

On December 15th we received a letter from the campaign office
inviting us to perform in the pre-parade entertainment along with
African drummers and dancers, Andean musicians, a Latin jazz band, a
Steel band, magicians, jugglers, and believe it or not, a precision
lawn chair drill team from Colorado (better than any military drill
team I've ever seen).

Local Western Massachusetts businesses quickly organized concerts for
us to raise money for our trip to DC, a local auto dealership donated
use of a 15 passenger rental van, the DC Yiddish club arranged for us
to give a concert at the JCC of greater Washington and at a Jewish
Day School while we were in town.

It was a chilly morning.  Larry, our sound engineer, deftly piloted
the van through rush hour traffic to get to our appointed location
before all the streets were blocked off by the security. Our fingers
were cold, but the joy of the day and the enthusiasm of the crowd
warmed us enough to play our instruments. It was a proud day for us,
to have Yiddish so prominently represented in the celebration of our
country's democracy and diversity.

For pictures, see  http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com/inaugural.html

Oh, and please remember to VOTE on November 5th.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340
voice/fax: 413-624-3204
http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com
Please include your USPS address and phone number in your email
signature on all business correspondence.