Re: OT: Law and Order -- Criminal Intent

Missed that episode.  First Goren I've ever encounted who wasn't Jewish.  The
really famous one was
the bridge (the card game) expert Charles Goren.  I've always felt that his
zeal was connected to
his hubris as in the recent episode where the murder (for the first time I've
seen) eluded him.
Unless I've missed some episodes, they haven't revealed a past with wounds that
require a certain
vengeance, like Olivia on SVU, eg, or Jordan on Crossing Jordan (another NBC
crime drama I watch
fairly often).  Lest you think I spend all my time watching tv, these shows are
all on about the
same time I do my workout and we have a tv in front of our treadmill.

Actually, I'm relieved he's not Jewish.  I don't he's all that likeable.
Actually, my favorite show
was CBS's The Education of Max Bickford, where Richard Dreyfuss (Jewish in real
life) portrayed a
short, left-handed Jewish American Studies professor whose wife had converted
to the faith and who
have a girl and a boy in that order.  If one were to survey the adult males in
my house, one would
discover that 100% of them match this demographic perfectly.  Can't figure out
why it went off the
air.

I relate pretty strongly to Bob Dylan, too:  Jewish Minnesotan associated with
the U of M, leftie,
plays guitar right-handed, says lots of stuff no one else understands.  Reminds
me of someone I
know, but can't place who.

Thanks,

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music