Birobidzhan

Dear list members,

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the (non)existence ofa
Jewish music tradition in the ex-Soviet Jewish Autonomous Republic of
Birobidzhan. I know that the Jewish population there was only active for
about 20 years before the purges set in and all culture was closed down. I
understand too from the book Stalin's Forgotten Zion that there was a Jewish
cultural centre for a short period of time, although i imagine that this was
too short a period for any serious indigenous Jewish culture to evolve
(perhaps with the exception of some Stalinist pioneer type songs).

What Im interested in is the possibility of archive recordings in the state
radio archives... does anyone know of someone who might be working in this
area? I met a lady from Siberia who is involved in digitising and raising
money for the preservation of state archives across the ex-USSR, many of
which are turning into piles of magnetic dust as we speak. I'm considering
getting involved in this, and before I do I'd be interested to find out if
anyone knows what research (if any) has been done.

NB Although it's still officially called the JAR, a friend of mine tells me
that there hasnt been any reference to this name for at least 15 years, and
in the media it has apparently been more or less subsumed into the wider
principality of Khabarovsk.

thanks
Jonathan Walton, SOAS Ethnomusicology MMus

Jonathan Walton
YaD Music,
33 Seymour Place,
London W1H 5AU