Oops! Correction: 20th Anniv. Part 2: Beacon, NY Oct. 20th

The Wholesale Klezmer Band 20th Anniversary Celebration  Part 2

at the Beacon Sloop Club's annual Pumpkin Festival
Sunday, October 20th
Beacon Harbor Park, Beacon, NY
The festival runs from noon to 6 pm, we will be performing from 2:30 to 3:30 pm
Free and open to the public

The harbor is located at the site of the old Newburgh-Beacon Ferry
Terminal, adjacent to Metro-North Commuter Railroad's Beacon Station.
It's less than a mile south of the Newburgh Beacon Bridge.  If
traveling by car, get off I-84 at the Beacon Exit and follow the
signs to the railroad station.

In 1990 with the membership of Wholesale Klezmer Band looking pretty
much as it does today, we received an invitation to play at the
Beacon Sloop Club's annual Pumpkin Festival. Pete Seeger would be
there, as well as the Sloop Clearwater and a number of other
performers.  "Who's Pete Seeger?" asked one of our new members who
shall remain nameless. "Who's Duke Ellington?" I answered.

It was a thrill to perform from the same stage as one of my lifelong
musical heroes, but what followed from that performance was even more
thrilling.  Pete and Toshi Seeger liked what they heard from us and
when Pete was to host a Celebration of Folk Music for the 100th
anniversary of Carnegie Hall, they invited us to perform for it
together with Tommy Makem, Jean Ritchie, Ruth Rubin, Peter, Paul and
Mary, Simon Shaheen, and Sweet Honey in the Rock and others.

With so many performers, we all had to strictly limit ourselves to 10
minutes, and it was a challange to work out a 10 minute set that
would include instrumentals, a song, and a translation of the
Yiddish.  We chose to do the Wholesale Hora and Bulgar which Sherry
had written to celebrate her joining us the year before, and a
bilingual version of Arbetlozer Marsh so that I wouldn't have to
spend time talking instead of making music.  Since there was a signer
for the hearing impaired, the verses that didn't get translated into
English got translated into Sign Language, so audience members who
could read Sign Language got the full translation that other
non-Yiddish speakers missed.

We've enjoyed going back to Beacon a number of times to perform, and
have had the pleasure of sharing other stages with Pete Seeger and
Peter, Paul and Mary. I hope we'll see some of you at the Pumpkin
Festival. The Sloop Clearwater will be there with the information and
membership booth. The Sojouner Truth will be taking guests sailing.

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland
The Wholesale Klezmer Band
Colrain, MA 01340
voice/fax: 413-624-3204
http://www.WholesaleKlezmer.com
Please include your USPS address and phone number in your email
signature on all business correspondence.