RE: Indian - Iraqi 78's

I forwarded this information /request from Julian Futter to the expert in Iraqi
Jewish music
Dr Sara Manasseh [sara (at) manasseh(dot)co(dot)uk] her is her reply
As Julian and Sara are both in London, you might like to get in touch with each
other and
a project may arise.
Geraldine

Dear Geraldine,
Thank you for the email.
It sound very interesting, and I would be interested in hearing / seeing the
78s.

I think it is important for these items to be re-released as CDs -- I would
certainly be keen
to work on such a project.
The Hazan Shlomo Muallim mentioned below, is considered to be the finest of
Baghdadian Hazans
in the 20th century.
Salim Daoud was know to be a prolific composer of songs and talented
instrumentalist.
I would be very interested in seeing the Odeon test pressings with Arabic.

I have a number of songs on tape of Iraqi-Jewish religious song recorded in
Baghdad by the
singer Haguli Shummel Darzi, on Baidaphone. These were given to me by someone
who lived in
India, and who had received the original 78rpms in the 1920s from Baghdad.
There are other recordings too, available of Jewish singers in Baghdad and
Bombay -- I would
be very interested in working on releasing these items on CD.
Best wishes,
Sara