Re: Shmuel Brazil's "Eits Chayim"

>on 10/6/02 11:15 PM, Robert Cohen at rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com wrote:

[Shmuel Brazil's] setting of "Eits Chayim," from the same period, is also
still sung in shuls; I've  heard it combined with Shlomo's setting of
"Hashiveinu" (i.e., the last line).

>If I am guessing correctly as to  which tune you are thinknig of, the
>setting of Etz Chaim that you are referring to was composed by Tanchum
>Portnoy for a group of Rabbi's Sons emulatyors "Bat Kol."

The estimable Jordan Hirsch is guessing *in*-correctly!  I'm more familiar
than he realizes with Tanchum Portnoy's lovely waltz setting of "Eits
Chayim," which has indeed become a standard in many, many synagogues; if
your synagogue sings "Eits Chayim" to a waltz melody rather than to the
traditional (Sulzer) one, you're singing Tanchum's.

Shmuel Brazil's "Eits Chayim"--or at least the one I know; he may have
written others--is *not* that one, and it's not a waltz; rather a lively,
upbeat, almost freilach setting.  It is that setting--which, btw, I believe
was recorded on the same "Or Chodosh" record that Jordan cites--that I've
heard combined with Shlomo's "Hashiveinu"--*not* Tanchum's waltz.

BTW, Jordan, I've never known, or heard, that Tanchum's waltz was composed
for "Bat Kol" and am *very* interested to know if that's so; whence cometh
this information, please?!  Thanks.

--Robert Cohen