Khevrisa Ensemble Concert

  I am forwarding this at the request of Steven Greenman.  Wish I could
be there.
Lorele

World Music Institute Presents
 European Klezmer:  The Khevrisa Ensemble
Performing "Under the Canopy of Heaven"
A Traditional Jewish Wedding

 Sunday October 6th, 2002 at 7:00pm
at Symphony Space
2537 Broadway
New York, NY  10025
SW corner of 95th St. and Broadway
Tickets:  $21, $16 members, $15 students
boxoffice (at) symphonyspace(dot)org <mailto:boxoffice (at)
symphonyspace(dot)org>
(212)864-5400

The pinnacle of style and sophistication, Khevrisa are among the leading
interpreters of traditional Klezmer music.  Four virtuoso musical icons
form Khevrisa, the secret Ashkenaz term for a klezmer ensemble:
violinist Steven Greenman, Walter Zev Feldman on cimbal, Michael Alpert
on sekund violin and vocals and Stuart Brotman on bass.

These amazing players promise a musically exhilarating night of
traditional klezmer music.  Their technically brilliant playing is
mesmerizing, the result of superb research and inspired performing by
some of the founding musicians of the Klezmer revival.

Their performance "Under the Canopy of Heaven:  A Traditional Jewish
Wedding" features Khevrisa playing the music of the European Jewish
Wedding.  While in North America Jewish wedding music preserved only the
dance tradition, in Eastern Europe the Ashkenaz wedding was a multi-day
event shifting in mood from meditative introspection to esctatic
celebration.  Rediscovering the music of the European Jewish Wedding has
involved years of scholarship by Khevrisa.  They've spoken to living
informants, listened to pre-Holocaust European recordings and made their
own musical notations.  Intricately moving through the wedding rituals,
Michael Alpert plays the Badkhn, the wedding jester, who works closely
with the musicians to guide the emotions of the participants.

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->