Michael Alpert, Sruli Dresdner, Lisa Mayer: The Singing Table at Old Broadway

Thursday, September 26
8 PM
Old Broadway Synagogue
15 Old Broadway, NYC
(1/2 block East of B'way
between 125th and 126th streets)
Tickets $10  Information: 212-662-9767

The Hasid has been given a key to open the gates of Heaven.  And what is this
key? The nigun.       --Rabbi Naftuli of  Ropshitz

Internationally acclaimed Klezmer personalities Michael Alpert, Sruli
Dresdner and Lisa Mayer invite you to join us for an intimate program of
old-world Hasidic music and dance.  In a performance that breaks the wall
between artist and audience, participants gather with us around a candle-lit
table to share the joyful and transcendent nigunim of Hasidic communities
around the world.  Perhaps...

An intricate melody that Hasidim attribute to the table of the Baal Shem Tov,
the 18th-century founder of Hasidism.
A lively dance melody brought from Belarus by the Hasidim of Lubavitch.
A spirited Galitzianer waltz sung by Sruli’s Galitzianer family as well as
Hungarian Hasidim.
A stately and inspiring instrumental march composed by the Satmar Hasidim to
welcome their Rebbe to America after the Holocaust.
An ancient Hungarian shepherd song adapted by the 18th- century Kalever Rebbe
into a haunting Hasidic allegory.

All the while, we talk and share -- an historical note, an inspirational tale
or saying, a family story.  Participants are likewise encouraged to share
with us and each other as we explore the ways in which traditional Hasidic
teachings, music and our Yiddish heritage enrich our contemporary lives.  And
in the tradition of the Tish, we will join together for a Rikud--an
inspirational Hasidic dance.

---------------------------

Michael Alpert has been a pioneering figure in the renaissance of East
European music and dance since its inception over twenty years ago, and is
internationally known for his performances and recordings with Brave Old
World, Kapelye, Khevrisa, and many other groups. He was musical director of
the PBS Great Performances special “Itzhak Perlman: In the Fiddler’s
House”
and he is noted for his original Yiddish songs on contemporary themes.

Sruli Dresdner and Lisa Mayer have been called “Superb Musicians!” by the
Los Angeles Times. They perform and teach Klezmer and Hasidic music at
festivals, synagogues and concert halls throughout North America. They have
been featured on PBS, Showtime, National Public Radio and in NYC’s Folksbiene
Yiddish Theatre. “Besides being a virtuosic multi-instrumentalist, Sruli
draws on his childhood background in Hasidism to bring a vibrant spirituality
to his playing. Lisa too, transcends. She is a dynamic soloist.” Seth
Rogovoy, Author, The Essential Klezmer.