From: "Sandra Layman" <sandralayman (at) earthlink(dot)net>
To: <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 12:09 AM
Subject: date of public domain for old recordings - was Re: A Yiddish World
Remembered

Fred Blumenthal wrote:
<<
I would be very interested in what the intellectual property lawyer has to
say about the age at which a recording becomes public domain.

Dear Fred,

The lawyer in question is Robert C. (Bob) Cumbow of Graham & Dunn PC in
Seattle. He also does some pro-bono work for Washington Lawyers for the Arts
and has helped me in the past.

In May he wrote me:
<<
I frankly don't see how ANYONE can own the copyright
in a 78rpm recording made in 1920, since anything published before 1923 is
in the public domain, and sound recordings weren't even protected by
copyright until 1976!

See below. The 1923 cutoff applies only to the U.S.

I'm realizing that I'm still a tad fuzzy on one thing: whether a record
label that publishes a reissue CD (thus a compilation or anthology) can
claim copyright over the original 78 rpm the reissue used, or just over the
digital version that appears on the CD. I would certainly think it would be
only the latter. So, if someone owns a 78-rpm copy of the recording, there
shouldn't be any problem using it -- I *think*!

If anyone's heard any different, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Sandra
_______

OK to quote me, with one amendment. Add the phrase "in the U.S." The 1923
date is not necessarily the public domain cut-off date in other countries.

Robert C. Cumbow
 Graham & Dunn PC
 1420 Fifth Avenue, 33rd Floor
 Seattle, WA  98101-2390
 direct 206.340.9619
 fax 206.340.9599
 rcumbow (at) grahamdunn(dot)com
 http://www.grahamdunn.com

        Big law firm experience
without the big law firm experience

I would be very interested in what the intellectual property lawyer has to
say about the age at which a recording becomes public domain.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com