Re: vacation

mazzeltov- have a wonderful trip ann futter
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ari Davidow" <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 3:05 AM
Subject: vacation

> Just a quick note to the list that I will be on vacation for the next
couple of weeks. If anyone needs help, the best source will be the
jewish-music list info at
http://www.ivritype.com/resources/jlists.html#jewish-music

> I should mention that this is not entirely a vacation like any other.
> List-member Judy Pinnolis and I will be honeymooning and will be less
likely than usual to consult a computer for the duration.

> For the record, I should note that the wedding band (playing, it is
granted, to a small, mostly-family gathering) was Boston's "Shirim," the
first klezmer folks that I met in Boston many, many years ago, good friends,
and an astounding wedding band as we confirmed, yet again, yesterday. The
band handled the various switches between klezmer, yeshivish, and Israeli
folk dancing with grace, aplomb, and incredible skill. Anyone wishing to
know more about the band would do well to consult www.klezmershack.com, or
the band's own website at www.shirim.com. Their albums come highly
recommended, as well.

Bloom, also of this list (web: www.gis.net/~bloom/).

> Needless to say, Boston does not lack for equally excellent musicians, as
any visitor to the klezmershack can confirm. I will once again revert to my
usual refusal to recommend one set of excellent friends and musicians over
another, after this message.

> A special song in Yiddish for the wedding was commissioned by Judy (a
total surprise to me, and a wonderful one), and composed by Josh Waletzky. I
do not know when this song will be professionally recorded, but Josh's
"Crossing the Shadows" has been recommended on this list often. Let me do so
once again. It is a phenomenally wonderful album.
http://www.crossingtheshadows.com.

> As I mention old friends on this list who participated, let me not fail to
thank Yosl Kurland and Peggy Davis whose band (Wholesale Klezmer) is among
those incredible, highly-recommended Boston-area bands. For this wedding,
however, they were responsible for the stunning ketuba, set in Hebrew and
Yiddish. For more, consult the klezmershack or www.hebrewlettering.com.