vacation

Just a quick note to the list that I will be on vacation for the next couple of
weeks. If anyone needs help, the best source will be the jewish-music list info
at http://www.ivritype.com/resources/jlists.html#jewish-music

I should mention that this is not entirely a vacation like any other.
List-member Judy Pinnolis and I will be honeymooning and will be less likely
than usual to consult a computer for the duration.

For the record, I should note that the wedding band (playing, it is granted, to
a small, mostly-family gathering) was Boston's "Shirim," the first klezmer
folks that I met in Boston many, many years ago, good friends, and an
astounding wedding band as we confirmed, yet again, yesterday. The band handled
the various switches between klezmer, yeshivish, and Israeli folk dancing with
grace, aplomb, and incredible skill. Anyone wishing to know more about the band
would do well to consult www.klezmershack.com, or the band's own website at
www.shirim.com. Their albums come highly recommended, as well.

Dance instruction and leadership was provided by the excellent Jacob Bloom,
also of this list (web: www.gis.net/~bloom/).

Needless to say, Boston does not lack for equally excellent musicians, as any
visitor to the klezmershack can confirm. I will once again revert to my usual
refusal to recommend one set of excellent friends and musicians over another,
after this message.

A special song in Yiddish for the wedding was commissioned by Judy (a total
surprise to me, and a wonderful one), and composed by Josh Waletzky. I do not
know when this song will be professionally recorded, but Josh's "Crossing the
Shadows" has been recommended on this list often. Let me do so once again. It
is a phenomenally wonderful album. http://www.crossingtheshadows.com.

As I mention old friends on this list who participated, let me not fail to
thank Yosl Kurland and Peggy Davis whose band (Wholesale Klezmer) is among
those incredible, highly-recommended Boston-area bands. For this wedding,
however, they were responsible for the stunning ketuba, set in Hebrew and
Yiddish. For more, consult the klezmershack or www.hebrewlettering.com.

a hartsikn dank to all,
ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/