MItzvah music and dance

A few comments that I hope are at least mildly related:

It is not just our Jewish community that has lost the ability to do its
social dances.  The general population has done the same.  I trace that back
to Chubby Checkers and the Twist as the beginning of the inability of people
to dance together.

Don't be too quick to believe that other ethnic groups have maintained their
own ability to dance to their historic cultures.  A few years ago I went to
a nightclub in Philadelphia for what was called "Greek Night" with a minor
apprehension that I was going to a fraternity party.  Busloads of Greeks had
chartered the place.  The music was fine but the only dancing that was done
was the same as current popular dancing. I.e. standing alone and bouncing up
and down.  The only difference was a sop to tradition by holding their arms
over their heads while dancing.  All the same regardless of the tune.

Leonard Koenick