Re: seeking silver/tin clarinet

Here's some information regarding the metal clarinet. I
hope it helps.

Metal clarinets got their western popularity from
outdoor military bands in the 19th century and eastern
popularity because they were cheaper than their wood
counterparts and also because they were made in a
variety of keys. Not just Bb, but in A, G and F.  They
are a combination of nickel and tin, generally more
nickel than tin though the later ones (those made in the
mid 20th century more tin than nickel) The clarinets
made with more nickel are generally darker sounding,
some people say sweeter, depends upon your adjective.
Some of the best metal clarinets were made by CONN, a
midwestern USA instrument manufacturer.  I have played
some by Boosey & Hawkes and others I was not able to
identify that were also decent.  As you mentioned, the
clarinet you heard was out of tune.  The metal clarinets
came with a variety of barrels, since they were
primarily for outdoor use they came with barrels that
could flatten or sharpen the pitch if need be by a
quarter step.  Unfortunately, to find a metal clarinet
with a barrel that will play comparible to todays A=440
or 444. is difficult.  If you need help in locating one,
please let me know, I have a variety of sources we can
check.

Marcy Mirkin