Re: cantor Myerovitch

At 10:35 PM 7/10/02 +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:
>I'm looking for a review written by cantor Myerovitch
>of a booklet with 8 compositions of Abraham Katz and
>Victor Schlesinger.
>
>This review was apparently published in a professional
>journal for chazzanim, somewhere between 1907--1920.
>
>Myerovitch was cantor in Vienna, and later on chief
>cantor of London. Maybe somebody knows when he was
>appointed?
>
>Does anyone have an idea in which journals this review
>could have been published? Has someone ever made a sort
>of index to these journals?

Irwin:

The three major European cantorial journals from this period were:

1. Di Chasanim-Velt, (Yiddish), Warsaw: 1933-1939. Monthly. Title changed in
1936 to Di Shul un di chasanim Velt.

2. Der Juedische Kantor (German),  Bromberg: 1879-1898, vols. 1-20. Weekly.
     Der Juedische Kantor, Hamburg: 1927-1938, vols. 1-12. Bi-monthly.

3. Oesterreichisch-Ungarische Cantoren-Zeitung (German), Vienna: 1881-1912.
From 1899, a supplement to Die Wahrheit. Title changed periodically in[?]
Allgemeine Kantoren Zeitung.

These entries are from: Sendrey, Alfred, Bibliography of Jewish Music, NY:
Coumbia University Press, 1951.

We have Chasonim Velt here, complete, on microfilm. I believe HUC-Cincinnatti
has both Chasonim Velt and Juedische Kantor complete.

I would appreciate you posting anything you find out about the accessibility of
these journals.

Thanks and Good Shabbes,

Eliott Kahn

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998