Re: 3-voice klezmer

In fact, the characteristic of the Chazzan appearing in the middle voice was
the first thing which caught my attention. The 3 part Meshorerim construct
is divided from top to bottom as Zinger, Chazzan, Bas. In one of the cited
examples (VI. 4) , the Zinger (top voice) sings a syncopated pedal point
against the Chazzan in the lower voice. The passage is reminiscent of the
flute, clarinet or piccolo pedal points found in klezmer music, whereby the
melody is played with an added pedal point on top.

In example VI. 6, there is a second voice which appears below the melody, as
a rudimentary alternating accompaniment figure (A-C#-A-C#) which is the most
basic secunda fiddle figuration one encounters in klezmer music. In this
case, the second voice is below the main melody. Katz calls the figuration
"pseudo counterpoint."

I wouldn't want to try to prove a connection of klezmer 3-voice structure
solely on the basis of the scant examples cited of the meshorerim, and my
thoughts were at the level of, "Hm, this is interesting, I wonder if there
is something to be researched here." So I haven't done more than notice the
(obtuse?) connection. Josh

Budowitz
www.budowitz.com