Re: Kol Nidre melody

Am catching up on some old posts; we were asked whence the current
"familiar" (traditional Ashkenazic) melody for Kol Nidre dates, and Cantor
Sam advised that it "probably dates from the 17th century and perhaps even
from the end of the 16th."

BUT:  I suspect we can date it earlier than that.  Macy Nulman's CONCISE
ENCYLCOPEDIA OF JEWISH MUSIC notes (as also reported in other sources):
"The first to mention a fixed Kol Nidre tune was Rabbi Mordecai Jaffe
(1530-1612) [Idelsohn, and Eric Werner, has "Jaffa"]....Idelsohn [Werner
agrees] suggests that [the] 'old melody' [alluded to by Jaffe/Jaffa] is the
present tune, which developed between the middle of the 15th and 16th
centuries."

(Idelsohn's THESAURUS OF HEBREW-ORIENTAL MELODIES, vol. VII, 34, is cited.)