Manuscript from Lithuania

Khaverim,

A Twin Cities woman approached me this weekend about a very old manuscript
in her possession.  It belonged to her grandfather, a cantor in
Lithuania.  It's quite long, beautifully written in violet ink, and much of
it is still readable.  Other than that it appears to be in an Eastern
European choral style, some of it into three parts, for a cantor and two
assistants, there's little else I can determine, including whether it was
composed by this gentleman himself or merely copied from someone else's
work.  This woman and her husband are also interested in knowing whether
this manuscript might be of value to a collection somewhere, where it might
be displayed.

This is beyond my areas of expertise.  Is there someone out there who might
be willing to look at a few photocopied pages and see if a more in-depth
identification might be made and/or might know whether a Jewish Museum
could make use of this manuscript?  This woman and her husband are lovely
people whom I would like to help and who knows?  We might all learn something.

Shevua Tov,

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American and Jewish Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612 624-7840 (o)