Re: East-West Ensemble

The East-West Ensemble with which I am familiar is an Israeli based fusion group
that has 3 CDs and a web site http://www.magda.co.il/artists/eastWest.html Their
music is world jazz music that melds eastern/jewish/classical music with rock
beats and is a "fiery" sound which I would describe as akin to a world music
"Weather Report". The leader of the group is Yisrael Borochov who plays double
bass, dulcimer, timpani and jumbush (turkish lute). The CD I would most
reccommend
is ZURNA. It is a live CD and if it is any indication of the groups live
concerts
they should be awesome. The group also uses a zurna which is a kind of arabic
oboe. A father and two of his sons play a Doirra (round single headed drum from
asia). The CDs are available on their website.

Slightly off topic, I just came back from Pittsburgh where I attended the live
recording of the new CD by DIVA. Nicky Parrott's sister Lisa plays baritone
sax with this all female 15 piece jazz orchestra. The concert was great and
the CD should be awesome. Anyone want to chat about it, contact me off
list......elliott