Chevan/Byrd with the Afro-Semitic Experience debut in New York June 24

I am passing along this press release announcing our performance at Makor in
New York later this month.
I hope you can make it.  Please forward copies to anyone you think might be
interested in hearing us.
Thanks,
David

Bassist David Chevan and Pianist Warren Byrd will be appearing in concert
for the first time in New York City in over a year.  The duo will make their
appearance at Makor on Monday, June 24 at 8:00.  Joining Chevan and Byrd
will be their group, The Afro-Semitic Experience which will be making it's
debut performance in New York City. Makor is located at 35 West 67 Street in
New York City and the phone number is (212) 601-1000.

The band will be featuring music from their new CD, This is the Afro-Semitic
Experience(released on April 5) along with music from their previous two
albums, Let Us Break Bread Together (2000) and Avadim Hayinu: Once We Were
Slaves.  This is the Afro-Semitic Experience (1998).  Ari Davidow from
Klezmershack.com calls the new CD "compelling", and that Chevan and Byrd are
"using jazz to bring out the commonality of spirituality in music from two
traditions, and then some. The result is excellent, sometimes danceable,
always listenable and warming music."  Mark Corroto writes, "Chevan and Byrd
's music is more Mingus than Masada, more Rahsaan Roland Kirk than Klezmer.
Like the aforementioned Mingus and Kirk, their music (certainly "jazz," if
anyone will allow me to use that word) is more than the sum of its parts."
His review, which is on www.allaboutjazz.com can be found by clicking here:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r0602_052.htm

The Afro-Semitic Experience is dedicated to preserving, promoting and
expanding the rich cultural and musical heritage of the Jewish and African
diaspora. Imagine a band that understands and can present interpretations of
music from traditions as rich as Gospel, Klezmer, Nigunim, Spirituals, and
Swing and you have the Afro-Semitic Experience. This is a group that is as
comfortable playing a freylakh as they are swinging a blues, that knows how
to play either a bulgar or some funk. Multi-cultural soul. The band began
performing in late 1999 as an off-shoot of the creative work of
African-American pianist Warren Byrd and Jewish-American bassist David
Chevan.  This album represents a continuation of the work of Chevan and
Byrd, but it also marks the first chapter in the story of an exciting new
band.

The Afro-Semitic Experience includes:
Warren Byrd--piano
David Chevan--bass
Will Bartlett--tenor sax, clarinet, and piccolo
Alvin Carter, Jr.--drums and percussion
Baba David Coleman--percussion
Mixashawn.com--tenor sax
Stacy Phillips--lap steel guitar, violin, and Harlow resonator guitar

George Robinson of the Jewish Voice described Chevan and Byrd's 2000 album,
Let Us Break Bread Together, as "Communication on the most elemental level
and yet, at the same time, the most elevated". John Barrett of
www.JazzUSA.com wrote that"This sound, the common experience of two peoples,
has a message -and beauty- for all people" and the French Jazz Magazine, Le
Jazz Hot summed up the album in three words, "Bref, c'est beau."

David Chevan, Bassologist
for more info visit my web site located at
 www.chevan.addr.com