course material

hi, this discussion came up a couple of months ago, with some useful
information, on the JFE (Jewish FOlklore and Ethnology) discussion list; you
may want to check it out rather than repeat it. Yes, Shiloahg's book is
probably a must, but I find it more useful as a reference than as a textbook.
There is really no one useable textbook, you really have to go through what´s
around and make your own syllabus, geared to the students in that course.
If it's really a course in Jewish music, rather than a course in
Ashkenazi music with bits of Sephardic or Uzebki or Ethiopian Jewish
music tossed in, then you have to go through journal articles, RELIABLE cd
notes, etc.  Actually, I´ve found that to be the case in most music ,and
humanities, courses I've taught. cheers from Valencia, Judith