El Danzon De Moises at the tonic

The CD is very listenable and available through amazon. There is a short review
of it on klezmershack I had thought it was a kind of one off project for all
of the musicians who are involved but the concert tomorrow night may mean
something
different There is a definite latin flavor to the music. I knew nothing about
the cuban jewish music scene or even that there was one. The cd made me do some
digging on the net There are some interesting "cuban jewish" sites" The cd is
a Roberto Juan Rodriguez project. He is the percussionist for Marc Ribot's
group.
Marc Ribot is an incredible jazz guitarist in the nyc radical jewish culture
arena...check out "yo i killed your God"....if you dare....Matt Darriau and
 David Krakauer each play clarinet on the cd.The first cut, el polaco, sounds
mideastern with a latin poercussion beat....it is very listenable...danzonette
hebreo sounds like straight ahead latin slow jazz to me.....the shvitz is more
latin sounding than klez with a repetitive mariachi like rhythm played on
violins
...Guahira is slow and breezy latin percussion with a mexican sounding
violin....Shron
is a very nice clarinet piece wih some fancy klez playing to a latin beat...El
Danzon De Moises...is more hot clarinet to a latin beat with krakauer soaring
on this one with mexican sounding violins in the backgrond...Comparsa en Altamar
is a beautiful cello piece.....Shalom a Shango starts out as an avant garde
piece with some squaking and wailing mixed in with latin rhythm and then turns
into a showcase for the pianist ........Jerusalem Market is very cool percussion
with horns that attempt to give the listener an idea of a busy market
place....all
in all the cd is more latin sounding than klez sounding...although...i know
little about the sephardic music that perhaps influenced cuban jewish
music...the
latin sounding repetitive backbeat rhythm off which the melody and soloing is
done does get repetitive after awhile...anyone who goes tomorrow night...let
us know what its like....thanks...elliott