  From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 7:38 PM
  Subject: Yiddish in Israel--a post script

  Many moons ago, this group was discussing the question of Yiddish and its
prestige (or lack thereof) in Israel/by Israelis.  I thought that this quote
that I came across on the Jewish Women's Archive while reading about Molly
Picon was relevent to that discussion, in terms of the yichis of this
conflicted attitude.  (The italics are quoting Molly directly).
  Lori

  In 1932, the couple visited the renowned author and poet, Chaim Nachman
Bialik, in Palestine. Publicly challenging the community’s "Hebrew only"
policies, Picon performed exclusively in Yiddish. “At that time, Palestinians
were adamant about speaking only Hebrew. Yiddish was outlawed, and very
often-bloody fights occurred between those who spoke only Hebrew and those who
spoke only Yiddish.”

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->