RE: I agree with Ari

If, as you state, editorialization and highly charged debate have no place
on this list, why do you find it necessary to pronounce your position?

As for the question at hand, I would suggest that while the topic at hand in
this forum is Jewish Music, it is sometimes necessary to discuss the
component words, and their interaction. How does music interact and affect
the Jewish world, and conversely how do issues in the Jewish world affect
music (and more specifically "Jewish Music")?

I have no academic credentials on this subject, nor do I have more than an
amateurs love for Jewish music, born from my heritage and yes my RELIGION
and my love of Israel. Jewish music has historically reflected the political
and religious, within the context of the times.  Our music is born of our
liturgy, of our political struggles, of our persecution, and in more modern
times our joy in our achievements. Songs from turn of the Shtetl which are
the roots of Klezmer, the ladino music born out of the Jewish ghettoes in
Arab lands, music of the Holocaust, the music of Modern Israel, the music of
Srul Glick (inspired by his deep Jewish spirituality), these are all
reasonably recent examples. I believe that the current situation in the
world, which has touched the world of Jewish Music" in America, is not only
a legitimate topic, but perhaps may an indicator of the roots of some future
Jewish musical composition and performance. Perhaps a debate of these
points, in a musical context is the appropriate response to the NPR matter.

Mel Korn.