Re: Kurt Weill in NYC

It's interesting that Kurt Weill recently came up, and the question of his
being a Jewish composer or not.  I just spent a couple of hours--and that
wasn't enough--at a Lincoln Center music library (first floor) exhibition
about him:  text/window cards/scores/some video
fragments/photographs/letters & journals/etc./etc./etc. grouped into 6-8
categories:  opera / musical comedy / "concept musicals" / incidental music
and others I (pathetically) (can't)remember.  Very rich.  And worth getting
to, if you're interested in him and can get there before it closes--first
week of May, I think.  (Sorry.)

Relevant to our list:  OTOH, there's no "Jewish" section among the 6-8, and
I don't think that's the curator's prejudice showing, either.  OTOH (n. same
abbrev. for two different phrases), there *is* Jewish content and Jewish
references at various points:  certainly in re "The Eternal Road" (and
there's a brief video excerpt, and a brief interview--not with him--about
it) and in re Holocaust- and Israel-related works he was involved in (sorry
for that vague reference).  Maybe some others.  *I* certainly will have not
the slightest problem about deducting the cost on my tax return--only it was
free!  But there's always transportation ...

I felt, myself, a special connection on at least three grounds:  I found in
my mother's house, as I advised the list, a (oversized, ambitious) program
booklet from the original production of "The Eternal Road"--which, in truth,
would probably have been desired for the exhibition if I'd made the contact
with them when it began; I have an original-cast LP of "Three-Penny Opera"
(one of the vitrines has a translation of "Mack the Knife" that they say is
much more faithful to the original than the eventual pop song); and, as a
boy, I was infatuated with the *movie* version (the play, but not the movie,
figures in the exhibition) of "One Touch of Venus" and watched it maybe 20
times in one week when it was shown, continually, on what was then called
the "Million Dollar Movie" in New York City.  Years ago I watched it
again--and I still find it charming.  I also understand why Frank Sinatra
got unhinged over Ava Gardner.

--Robert Cohen (who is a little, himself, I think)