Re: yiddish "16 tons"??

At 12:33 AM 4/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>does anyone know anything about the origins of the yiddish version of "16
>tons"? it's really funny even though i don't know yiddish... i found it on
>the internet... it almost sounds better than the original, with the clarinet
>... the listed artist is "hello dave". the track is staged as a talent show
>hosted by "tom ganeyden." the band has a tuba, clarinet, piano, and
>background singers... anyone know about this recording?

It's originally a Mickey Katz parody. There have been some great revival
versions, as well, including one in "Kapelye on the Air," show and album (which
I think of as the predecessor to Henry's current, wonderful, "Yiddish on the
Air"). Yiddishe Cup also do an exellent version.

ari

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/