  From: Susan Lerner
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 12:39 AM
  Subject: Re: Shtil di nacht stilled

  Just finished watching the documentary "Resistance" on PBS about Jewish
partisans during WWII. I felt the film did a lot right, but it was very
"Americanized."  No Yiddish and, amazingly, no contemporaneous Yiddish music!
Given the extraordinary repertoire of songs coming out of the resistance,
particularly from Vilna, this is really a significant omission. It is always
wonderful to see and hear Vitke Kempner-Kovner tell the story of her experience
blowing up a German train during the war (yes, I know about the dispute about
whether the train was actually blown up, etc., but that's beside the point
here).  The episode was the inspiration of Hersh Glick's beautiful Yiddish
song, shtil di nacht, also known as Partisaner Lid. But - no song in the film.
No mention of the song.  Clearly, the filmmakers wanted to "set history
straight" about Jewish Resistance, and I certainly don't want to detract from
that aim, but wouldn't music of the period have helped?

  Here we are,  we've got the Yiddish Radio Project on NPR as part of All
Things Considered, but Yiddish music that was actually sung by the fighters
isn't "universal" enough.  s'iz nisht geshtoygn un nisht gefloygn (It never
rose and it never flew, i.e. it doesn't make any sense). It's enough to make a
Yiddishist cry - or organize!

  Shira Lerner

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->