Re:Yiddish Dancing in Berkeley

I've been meaning to write the list about the fabulous experience I had last
week-end at the Berkeley Jewish Music Festival, but driving back on Monday and
then preparing for peysakh...well, you know.

Anyway, the highlight of the week-end for me was the klezmer dance party on
last Sunday afternoon (the Saturday night concert by Davka and Kitka was quite
good, but I am a Yiddishist first and foremost). Kurt Bjorling of Brave Old
World arranged the music and put the kapelye together with outstanding Bay Area
musicians, including Stu Brotman (also from Brave Old World), Daniel Hoffman
(Davka, SF KLezmer Experience) Jeannette Lewicki (SF KLezmer Experience), Julie
Egger (Red Hot Totchkies) and others.  Dancing was led by Michael Alpert in
excellent form.  Amazingly, over 300 people showed up - and they all danced!
Due to the numbers, nothing too complex was taught, but everybody got to do a
simple kararhod (circle dance), a patsh tantz (simple couple dance), a wild
bulgar that I swear went on for at least 20 minutes - what a kapelye! - and an
absolutely amazing Grand March, with 16 or more people marching abreast.  We
learned and danced like mad for more than 3 hours.

Anyone who is thinking of sponsoring a dance party in their community should
seriously consider duplicating this program; putting the 3/4th of Brave Old
World team together with local musicians under Kurt's direction and having
Michael lead/teach.

One note about the Kitka concert.  Learned that Nikolai Kaufman, the leading
arranger for the Bulgarian Women's State Chorus has arranged a large number of
Jewish songs he knows from his family background (both Shephardic and
Ashkenazic) in the typical Bulgarian Women's Choral style.  Kitka sang one and
it was lovely!